Sunday, February 26, 2017

Change

It's been a few years since I have posted, and lots has changed, including the name of this blog.  The title of the blog used to be {Teaching} ∩ {Physical Science}, but physical science is not currently my primary teaching focus.  I don't know where my professional journey will take me in the future, but I know that changes along the way will be inevitable.

If you had asked me a year and a half ago if I'd be doing something significantly different in the future than continuing to teach in the district I'd been in for 10 years, I would have said it would be unlikely.  But because of a life-changing phone call from my friend Gina who at the time was a former colleague, I now work in a middle school digital fab lab and get to teach students how to use 2D and 3D design software to produce products on vinyl cutters, laser cutters, and 3D printers. 

It's a fabulous position.  I have already learned lots about how to (and how not to) teach a class like this well.  I have been planning on sharing this journey on the blog here eventually, but the impetus to actually do something about it sooner came from George Couros's The Innovator's Mindset massively online open course.

I am looking forward to writing about starting a digital fab lab program and participating in #IMMOOC - let the changes begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment