I am splitting up the topic into several posts so I don't put you into a TL;DR situation...
First, why do I use SBG in my classes? I believe that:
- students' grades should reflect what they know or what they can do for that particular course.
- grades should inform students as to their strengths and weaknesses.
- homework is for practice, and that students should not be penalized for mistakes while practicing.
- if students upgrade their skills or level of knowledge during a course, their grade should reflect that.
- traditional grading systems often give a false indication of a student's skills.